Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.








On the first day of Design 1 at UC Davis, we were shown this picture.

The Treason of Images (1928-29) - René Margitte

The Treason of Images (1928-29) drawn by René Margitte. The image is a realistic painting of pipe with a factual statement below written in French, “Ceci n’est pas une pipe.” or translated in English “This is not a pipe.”

At first, I could not understand why and how this particular painting could be related to design. Fortunately, I had learn of artist Belgian René Margitte in one of my previous art history classes and I remembered that his surrealist art was intended to provoke and challenge his audience into defining their impressions of reality. To evoke philosophical thought of a simple object into something that defies the norm.

The painting of the pipe and statement is a contradiction, a paradox. While the image is of a pipe, the painting itself is not, therefore the caption “This is not a pipe.” That idea is the key.


His philosophical idea made me think. While there were a few big questions surrounding design, like “Who are the people of design?” “What is the place of design in our society?” and “What do we ask design to do?” What was one of the biggest questions that I as student seek?

While it is important to relate design to and for the people, how do I try to design something that is consistently innovative and interesting? How do I design something that will not only attract but also be functional at the most simplest and basic level of understanding? But that is a question I know that will never be truly answered, because I will always be learning.

One lesson that I have discovered through basic attendance of Professor’s Housefield’s class is the act of communication. In every lecture thus far the whole class has been asked to communicate not only with each other but also with our now assigned mentors.

Thus, lesson one begins in the journey to answer those big questions.


Thanks for listening,
Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment