Monday, October 4, 2010

GPS>Options>Points Of Interest



Recently, we were asked to read Michael Bierut’s online article “Warning: May contain Non Design Content” (August 31, 2006) posted on The Design Observer.

The article was interesting in that it contained nothing about design hence the title. However, the most important emphasis the article made to me was that if you are asked to design, create, or make something, you should ONLY do the project if you are absolutely interested in it.

I whole-heartedly agree with this idea.

I have discovered that important lesson in my art classes. When there was a prompt that had little to do with my interest, even after research, inspiration would escape my reach.

However, whenever I was given the opportunity to create something I was truly interested in, I found myself filled with passion for my work and I believe that the intensity of that passion can be seen and felt as a result. For example, my favorite pieces of art were paintings done in my beginning painting class because the professor gave us the opportunity to create whatever we wanted.

Bierut, too, had realized that his best work always involved subjects and issues that he felt completely involved; especially subjects he was interested in learning about and/or subjects he was currently passionate about.

As a counter point, Bierut demonstrated through his own life example that it was possible to create something that you knew little or had no interest in and perhaps even be proud of your work at the end. However, when he eventually was able to learn about the work after the project, he realized his design, his creation for the issue was completely wrong.

Thus, it is always possible to create something. To produce some work or piece that is a reflection of skills. However, in order to create good work or great work, I feel that it is always necessary to have that interest.

Thus, find an interest, but always “be ready for anything.” – Michael Bierut

Signed an inquiring mind,
Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment