Monday, November 15, 2010

Ergonomics Of An Object

Ergonomics is the study of human centered design, which basically means a study of everyday objects designed with people in mind. Now when doing ergonomics research this process can be applied to any object worth studying. The five areas of concern in ergonomics research is safety, comfort, ease of use, performances, and aesthetics.

So what is something we all use daily? Well I know what I use daily, besides this computer, my Blackberry Curve is quite possibly the most important thing to me. It is my connection to everyone inside and outside school, it is my connection to family, it is my alarm, my calendar, and my note taker, basically my cell phone could be my life (but its not, believe me I am not that obsessive…). Anyways, my Blackberry Curve can be a simple or complex device to use, but lets break it down to the five basic concerns of ergonomics.

“Safety first!” they always say (well who is they?). ANYWAYS, the safety of the Blackberry is creating a functioning mobile phone that is safe to use. For example, making sure that the battery doesn’t malfunction suddenly causing the phone to over heat, or making sure the charging port isn’t loose or built in such a way that would cause it to spark when connected with the electrical plug. Basically, what designers create and produce, they have to consider the safety issues. (Though to be honest, when I got my Blackberry it did all of these dangerous problems. Thank god for insurance!) Thankfully, my Blackberry Curve now is visually and currently very safe to use in my daily routines.

Second is comfort. I love my Blackberry Curve, especially because it is wide, it fits within the palm of my hand and the grips on the side are a velvety rubber and thus securing that grip. I love the wide screen on it because it allows more text to be easily read, and like most phones you can increase or decrease the size of the text allowing more comfort. The volume of the phone can always be adjusted of course, but I never had much of a problem with the sound, and it is generally very comfortable to talk on the phone for long hours. The compact size makes it a comfortable guest in your jean pockets. The Blackberry Curve is definitely made with the business consumer in mind, it has everything a business savvy person needs – a calendar, a notes program, a Word and PowerPoint program, an alarm, email and other entertainment needs like music, camera, video and games. Comfort for the businessman is a plus with the Blackberry Curve when everything can be placed within this small device.

Now with ease of use, after reading the instruction manual and playing around with the phone, my Blackberry Curve became pretty easy to use. It generally has the basic call and off buttons of every cell phone. However, calling and texting actually proved to be a struggle for people who have never used a Blackberry, several of my friends who have tried to mess around with my phone always needed some help to figure out how to call or send a text message – a definite downside, but a plus to help you realize who is playing around with your phone. The one that I love about my Blackberry Curve in particular has a QWERTY board, now if that does not says comfort I have no idea what does. The QWERTY board allows the comfort of a small keyboard built into your hand held. It just makes texting so much easier and faster.

Overall, the performance of my Blackberry Curve is on and off, like humans it has its good days and bad days (this is also probably due to my clumsiness, where dropping it a couple of time has probably slowed down its function). But for the most part my Blackberry Curve has been performing beyond average, after using it for two years I am proud to say that its performance is great and generally very reliable if you take pretty good care of it.

The aesthetics of the Blackberry Curve is sleek; my phone is outline in stone gray, generally promoting a sense of professionalism and cool. The design of the phone is very black, with the speaker at the top, the wide screen below it, the call and menu button after and the keyboard and the microphone at the bottom. The sides has buttons, the phone allows you to adjust the function of what the buttons do (such as adjusting volume or a quick short cut to your email). The port for the charger is generally well placed. Generally the Blackberry Curve is about a clean sleek design, perfect for every day use that elicits a mode of professionalism.

The Blackberry is perfect for any consumer, because of its function, its programs, and its design.




Blackberry Curve 8310 Review

No comments:

Post a Comment