Monday, November 1, 2010

LOGORAMA!

OH MY GOD. I apologize I could not contain my excitement but this is quite possibly the most epic short film ever made and quite possibly every single graphic designer's dream world to be living in. OKAY. Okay... you got me I must be exaggerating but truly this is one entertaining short film! So give me a chance to explain myself here.

Well first off, what film am I talking about? LOGORAMA! A short 16 minute film directed and created by a French collective called H5 that was presented at the Cannes Film Festival in 2009, they opened for the Sundance Film Festival in 2010 and also won Best Short Animated Film. H5 is a small graphics and animation company in France.

The short animation depicts a story that takes place in Los Angeles utilizing over 2,500 logos and mascots to tell its story (Can you even imagine the amount of time they had to spend JUST to avoid violating patents on these Logos and Mascots?) The film makes comments on how deeply logos are embedded into our culture and it presents a commercialized universal that is both real and fantastical.

The first few seconds into the film is already awesome, the scene spans a shot over Los Angeles using logos to set as buildings. People as Aim icons, birds from the Bentley logo and butterflies from Microsoft. The story revolves around Michelin Man Cops in a cruiser, a Pringle man propositioning s Esso Girl waitress and some kids on a zoo tour lead around by a flamboyant Mr. Clean. The Cops soon are called on a chase for a loose criminal which turns out to be Ronald McDonald. A thrilling gun battle ensues and then…

Alright well I told you enough, now if seeing Ronald McDonald as the villain doesn’t interest you I don’t know what will. Enjoy it.


Check out the full 16 minute film, Logorama!

No comments:

Post a Comment